The story is told of an automotive recycler who had worked the same business all of his life. It was a good business, but with the passing years, the owner began to tire of it. He longed for change–for something “better.” Everyday he found a new reason for criticizing some feature of the old place. Finally, he decided to sell, and listed his company with a business broker who promptly prepared a sales advertisement. As one might expect, it emphasized all of his company’s advantages: ideal location, modern equipment, good inventory, loyal customers, etc.
Before placing the ad the broker called the recycler and read the copy to him for his approval. When he had finished, the recycler cried out, “Hold everything! I’ve changed my mind. I am not going to sell. I’ve been looking for a place like that all my life.”
What changed his mind? Powerful well-written selling words and phrases did!
There are lots of words and phrases that are like diamonds in print! They can be dropped into any ordinary ad or sales letter to instantly add value, create sizzle and increase sales. They can really drive people’s desire sky high. The following are just a few of them.
1. GREAT OPENINGS: This may be the most important letter that you have ever received, Let’s brain-storm together, I’ve got to get this off my chest before I explode, what I’m about to tell you will change your life forever, I want you to be the first to profit from this amazing discovery.
2. POSITIVE COMMENTS: Trusted and tested, ahead of the curve, small but mighty, on target, solutions to your problems, major breakthrough, a rewarding experience, shoot for the stars, cutting-edge, the best of all worlds, no guess work, a proven system, you’ll love this, best in the industry, you can’t lose with this.
3. GUARANTEES: You must be 100% satisfied, absolutely thrilled, or your money back, no questions asked, satisfaction guaranteed or you don’t pay, test drive it for 90 days, if you’re not completely satisfied, we’ll buy it back.
4. BIG AND/OR POWERFUL – Bigger is better, formidable, compelling, turbo-charged, grand slam, enormous, sledgehammer, steamroller, bountiful, massive, excessive, huge, whopping, jumbo, unlimited, an endless supply of, earth shattering.
5. ABOUT YOUR OFFER – one-of-a-kind, once in a lifetime, amazing, most rewarding, world class, on target, unbeatable, incomparable little-known secret, the absolute best, red hot, irresistible, the one and only, comprehensive, remarkable, sizzling, first-class, the Rolls Royce of, awesome, you can’t miss, your solid-gold opportunity, beats the pants off of, take it to the bank, fully loaded, I’m repeating this offer to you one last time.
6. SELLING WORDS (I have an enormous list of these, but here are a few) – Amazing, announcing, at last, bargain, discount, exciting, benefits, bonus, breakthrough, compare, deluxe, enormous, exclusive, extra, free, gift, greatest, huge, hurry, important, jam-packed, jump-start, money, new, immediately, lifetime, valuable, proven, tested, unconditional, offer, sale, reserved, secret, rush, urgent, wanted, warning.